st: Re: undocumented command *

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: undocumented command *
Date   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:41:42 +0200

Shameless advert:

But your message indicates you already knew that.

Apart from that, I think of -zipfile- and -unzipfile-. They both do good services in one of my ados, but have to the best of my knowledge never been acknowledged... I think there was a post by Sergiy back in the day that alerted me to their presence :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eva Poen" <>
To: "Statalist" <>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 10:36 PM
Subject: st: undocumented command *

Today I stumbled upon this neat little command -*-, whose only purpose
in life seems to be to do nothing at all, and swallow everything
behind it:

* blah blubb this does not make any sense but Stata doesn't complain,

(Try typing this in Stata.) I found it while implementing some
entertaining dots for my exact unconditional test program, in the
style of -simulate- etc. I examined simulate.ado, and there it was.
-which *- shows that it officially doesn't exist.

I was wondering if there are more of these "hidden gems", which might
be useful in programming, but are not only undocumented but also
invisible for -which-. Any suggestions?