Re: st: use of count.

From   Johannes Geyer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: use of count.
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:02:24 +0200

You could try the following:

bysort year state cnum: gen     x = _n == 1
by     year state     : replace x = sum(x)
by     year state     : replace x = x[_N]

a solution that is described here:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/distinct.html

Johannes

[email protected] schrieb am 18/09/2008 10:45:37:

> Let me ask my question again.
>
> I have the variables year state cnum candidat.
>
> Year state and candidate have the usual meaning.
>
> cnum is the consituency within a state.
>
> So in one year I may have 5 states and within that I may have 10
> constituencies and within those  I may have say 4 candidates each.
>
> I want to compute the number of constituencies in each state.
>
> I try to do this by : -
>
> gen noofct=0
>
> bysort year state cnum : count and now I want to store r(N) in noofct
> variable. So the noofct variable will have the same value in any one
> consituency. This is what I am not able to do.
>
> Can someone tell me how to do this ?
>
> Thank you,
> Ashim.
>

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Johannes Geyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> > To me it is not clear what you try to achieve. It is easier to help if
you
> > explain what variables you have and what you are trying to do using
Stata,
> > in particular describe an error if it occurs.
> >
> > I assume you want to count the number of candidates in each state but
> > have no idea what "cnum" and "cname" mean and what "count" is. Is
"count"
> > a variable? Note that the syntax of the command count is different.
And