Re: st: standard error of prediction (with weights)

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: standard error of prediction (with weights)
Date   Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:12:18 -0400

On Sep 16, 2008, at 6:01 AM, Hans Olav Melberg wrote:
When using the following:

logit c6 $x6 [pweight=w2all], or
mfx compute, at(gateway=0)

I get:
Marginal effects after logit
y = Pr(c6) (predict)
= .00067379

How do I find standard error of the predicted value?

The predicted value (y = 0.00067) is calculated using weights as well
as at the mean of the variables, except for one variable which is 0.
I found some commands that might be useful, but they did not accept weights.

Hans, you need to use -adjust- for this purpose. However -adjust- will not hold variables at their weighted means. Here is code that creates the weighted means and then calls -adjust-. If it is badly mangled in transmission to the list, I will send you a copy privately.

*****************Code begins *****************
Program to created adjusted prediction and CI for weighted data, holding one variable at a specified value and the others at their weighted means

For the auto data, the command will be: svy: logit foreign rep78 mpg weight trunk
-adjust- will be called to predict the probability for rep78=3 and other predictors held at their means

sysuse auto,clear
svyset _n [pweight=length]
local rhs mpg weight trunk // all variables to be held at their means ///

/* Create weighted means */
svy: mean `rhs'
foreach v of varlist `rhs' {
local m_`v' = _b[`v']

/* build up statement for -adjust- command */
local l_adj " "
foreach v of varlist `rhs' {
local lv "`v' = `m_`v'' "
local l_adj `l_adj' `lv'