st: suggestion for missing()

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   st: suggestion for missing()
Date   Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:46:26 -0400

This is mostly a suggestion to StataCorp, perhaps it
has been made or explained elsewhere.

The function -missing()- is quite useful, but I'd
like to propose that it be modified to take a -varlist-
as argument.

First, it would be even more useful if one could specify
many variable names using short hand. Eg, why not

  drop if missing(q1-q23)

  drop if missing(_all)

Second, this would be consistent with other row operators
such as -rowmiss- & -rowtotal-, which take varlists. At
least, it seems like that is the Stata convention - row
operators take varlists, column operators take comma
separated lists. Perhaps I'm wrong on this, but it seems
enough of a convention that I invariable try to stick a
varlist in -missing()- anyway.

Just a thought.