st: Summing variables by row

From   "Leonor Saravia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Summing variables by row
Date   Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:32:53 -0400

Hello Statalisters,

I�m trying to sum many variables by row using the -rowtotal -
function. The problem is that I need to distinguish when the resultant
sum is cero or a missing value. Do you know if there�s another command
or function that may sum by varlist and mantain the missing values
when they are present?

I�d like to generate a variable 'total' like this:

var1 var 2 var3......varN  total
.       0      .           .        0
1      .       .           .        1
0      1      .           1        2