Re: st: Summer North American Stata Users Group meetings

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Summer North American Stata Users Group meetings
Date   Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:58:17 -0500

On 9/1/08, David Airey <[email protected]> wrote:
>  We have a number of speakers with equal ingenuity I see. These are all
> great examples of how teachers of Stata might set up their materials. Come
> to think of it, they remind me now of Stas' (I think) regression tutorial
> that I saw way back when I used Stata 7. In any case, if one is teaching
> Stata to a class, building the materials this way (into the viewer) might be
> a good idea. What does Richard Williams think? Too much work for the
> teacher?

That was Stata 5, I think :)). And I learned some of that presentation
format tricks from peeking into Stata tutorials when -tutorial- was
not yet outdated (and I think some of them went back to version 2 or
3).

I personally find it easier to myself to switch between a pdf beamer
presentation (relatively heavy on math... GREEK LETTERS IN STATA!!!)
and Stata input/output windows with -more- dividers in it (which
essentially is the -tutorial- idea). If you are better with flow
control, then SMCL may indeed be a nice way to go, but I (personally)
have not learnt enough SMCL to do a whole presentation in it.

Also, you'd probably want to distribute a wholesome .do-file to your
students, so that they could learn from it and modify for their
purposes. With 77 files for a single presentation, as Maarten noted,
it is not user-super-friendly (or should I say super-user-friendly?)