Re: st: too many variables

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: too many variables
Date   Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:32:22 -0400

Dear Austin,

thank you for taking time and writing the actual code. I have already
printed the errors list that it produces - excellent reference. But
some errors are not captured by the code however, e.g.:

assert 1==2
assertion is false
r(9);

This is probably because not all error codes have messages produced by
error(). In the example above, it is probably -assert- itself that
writes a message (display as error "assertion is false") and then
calls error(9). If I simply call error(9), I don't get the message. So
it is a little bit more complicated then that. A quick look at the
reference that Kit pointed to, and the output of the program resulted
in several of these discrepancies: 6, 7, 9, 170, 399, 409, 416, 420,
480, 482, 491 (stopped comparing at ~500)

Some messages have different wording , e.g. 106, 450, which does not
change the meaning however.

Error code 170 is said to work only for Unix and Mac. Indeed
error(170) does not generate a message, but -chdir nonsense- issues
this message in Stata for Windows: "unable to change to nonsense
r(170);" . It would be rather strange if no message appeared.

Interestingly, the program yielded some codes which are not documented
171-176, 403, 464-467

So it seems that both the printed manual and the results of Austin's
program are necessary to have a complete reference of Stata's error
codes.

Thank you,
   Sergiy Radyakin