Re: st: Scatterplot: Weighted markers change size

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Scatterplot: Weighted markers change size
Date   Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:43:46 -0400

To close this thread, here is a solution to my problem that was
provided by Stata tech support. One has to duplicate the observations
and recode the group variable in the duplicates so that the weights
are distributed across all groups.

. clear all
. input x y weight group
1 1 1 1
2 1 2 1
1 2 4 2
2 2 8 2
end
. scatter y x [w=weight], name(A)
. twoway (scatter y x if group==1 [w=weight]) (scatter y x if group==2
[w=weight]), name(B) legend(off)
. expand 2
. replace x = . if _n>(_N/2)
. recode group (1=2) (2=1) if x==.
. twoway (scatter y x if group==1 [w=weight]) (scatter y x if group==2
[w=weight]), name(C) legend(off)

The legend is turned off so that it is easier to see that the markers
in graphs A and C have the same size. A more complicated example is
shown in a reply to a similar question by another list member.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-08/msg00982.html

Friedrich