st: RE: Bootstrapping confidence interval of mean difference

From   "Matt Spittal" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Bootstrapping confidence interval of mean difference
Date   Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:06:52 +1000

Hi Susan,

An equivalent method would be to use linear regression with dummy coding for the treatment groups.  Ignoring the issue of bootstrapping, in Stata this would be:

	sysuse auto, clear
	xi: regress weight i.foreign

where -xi- expands terms containing categorical variables into indicator variables, and -i.foreign- is the indicator of treatment assignment.  If you type

	ttest weight, by(foreign)

you can see the estimate of the mean difference is the same as the beta for _Iforeign_1 from the regression.

To bootstrap the standard errors type

	xi: bootstrap, seed(12345) reps(100): regress weight i.foreign

which will give the confidence intervals you desire. Setting the seed ensures that you can reproduce the results later. The -reps- command sets the number of repetitions.

-- Matt
[email protected]