st: simple data input question- expanding macros

From   <>
To   <>
Subject   st: simple data input question- expanding macros
Date   Fri, 15 Aug 2008 01:35:09 -0700

Hi, I apologize for such a simple question. I hope to eventually participate in statalist on a much higher level.

I would like to input data that I have in strings manually in a .do file.
That is, say I have a for loop going through a list of a bunch of strings, how can I use those strings to input data?

Say, I have a macro called color.
and, I have an existing dataset with blue and green as observations (there is only one variable, COL).
Why doesn't the following work:

local color = "red"

I tried the above code using a global variable as well, to no avail:

global color = "red"

Is there a better way to do this? How do I expand my macro before anything else happens?

Thank you!

PS. is there any good forum online that might be better for beginner questions?
Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are.  Start here.