Re: st: Stata 10 files in Stata 9

From   Simon Moore <>
Subject   Re: st: Stata 10 files in Stata 9
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:36:13 +0100

Stat/Transfer is a programme that allows you to convert data files from one format to another ( But this costs money.

Lola Jackson wrote:

Yes I have just been trying to use -saveold- in Stata9 to save a Stata10 file in that format, but get an error message "no variables defined" (r(11)). From what Svend says below, does this mean that without a computer with Stata10 on it there is no way at all to open or convert a Stata10 file for use in Stata9?

(I know this might seem outdated given that Stata 10.1 has just been announced, but it would really help me if there were a way to do this!)

----- Original Message ----
From: Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
Sent: Wednesday, 13 August, 2008 9:08:09 PM
Subject: Re: st: Stata 10 files in Stata 9
Lola wrote:
Is there any way to open a file that was saved in Stata10, on a computer that only has Stata9 installed on it?
When I try I get error message r(610), that the file is not in Stata format (it is saved in Stata10).

Rafal pointed to:

help saveold

but that command does not help Lola directly. She must find
someone with a computer with Stata 10 installed, and on that

use dataset_10.dta
saveold dataset_9..dta

Hope this helps

(In Stata 8 and 9 -saveold- saves a dataset in Stata 7 format.
I think things would be more transparent if these commands had
the names -save7- and -save8-).

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6 DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark Phone, work: +45 8942 6090 Phone, home: +45 8693 7796 Fax: +45 8613 1580 E-mail: _________________________________________________________
* For searches and help try: