Re: st: Stata 10 files in Stata 9

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 10 files in Stata 9
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:24:07 -0400

It is possible to convert Stata10 to Stata9 in most cases (if new
formats were not used, if they were then loss is inevitable even with
S\T). Since the file formats are open, it is easy to write such a
converter. What you need is to change the version signature, truncate
formats strings from 49 to 12 bytes and trunsfer the rest of the file.
Should be feasible even in Mata.

Alternatively (if header information is known) one can create a new
dummy dataset with e.g. 1 observation, and then swap the headers. --
Don't like this and never tried.

Regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin