Re: st: question with MLE and complex model

From   Partha Deb <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question with MLE and complex model
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:30:57 -0400

Jonathan,

There are a number of likely reasons why starting values are not feasible.

1. If you have a small sample, it may be too ambitious to model the probabilities as functions of covariates. You may simply be too close to a boundary for some observations. What is your sample size?

2. Although Stata is quite good about handling scaling issues, scaling can matter. If your z's are scaled very differently, that could be a source of the problem.

What happens when you estimate 2 and 3 component mixtures without covariates in the probabilities?

On your question about why your original effort fell short - obviously I don't know for sure, but the likelihood you had written out was not the likelihood for a mixture model - beyond that, I'm afraid I didn't look particularly hard at the formulation.

Partha

Jonathan Hanson wrote:

Partha,

Thanks again for your help -- I really appreciate it. Your tip did help me get up to a three-component model. I am not consistently able to do so, however, especially when using variables to estimate the component probabilities. When adding one of these variables, even to a two-component model, Stata often reports that it cannot find feasible values at the beginning of the estimation. Perhaps I need to supply my own starting values?

Also, since I hope to learn how to use ml, I am still puzzling over why my original effort is falling short. Are there some obvious things that I should think about as I work on it?

Thanks!

Jonathan