st: coding for McClements equivalence scale

From   Cindy Gao <>
Subject   st: coding for McClements equivalence scale
Date   Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:34:32 +0000 (GMT)

Dear all,

I using household survey data and I like to code my households according to the McClements adult equivalence scale (used in analysing income distribution). I wonder if there is a easy way to do this in Stata. My data looks like so:

Household       Individual      Age      etc
1                           1               23
1                           2                8
2                            1                55
2                            2            etc

For the McClements scale we need a household income conversion coefficient as follows:
0.61 for adult1
0.39 for spouse
0.09 for dependent aged 0-1 year
0.18 for dependent aged 2-4 year

I will then divide the household income by that coefficient.

Can anyone help with easy way to implement this in Stata?

Many thanks.

Cindy Gao

Not happy with your email address?.