Re: st: poverty/inequality analysis - follow-up

From   Lola Jackson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: poverty/inequality analysis - follow-up
Date   Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:41:53 +0000 (GMT)

Last Monday I posted a query to Statalist regarding how to code my household survey data for various combinations of (1) an income mean-preserving contracting in inequality and (2) an increase in mean income while leaving distribution unchanged, with various permutations/mixtures in between. I received extremely helpful replies from Austin Nichols, Stas Kolenikov, and Stephen Jenkins; and have since been following up on the literature and other useful suggestions they made. I am also trying to use a modified version of the basic coding which Austin suggested (reproduced below); while having taken note of the caveats and cautions mentioned I think it will suffice for my purposes (which does not include submission to peer-reviewed journals). However I have 3 follow-up questions on the coding which I have still not been able to figure out on my own:

1) What is the reason for generating the variable x, and especially for doing this for only about half of the observations (specified as "in 1/300" whereas there are almost 600 observations in the psidextract dataset once the command "keep if t==7" has been implemented). I couldn't figure out why x is needed and is included in the subsequent kdensity and line commands. I was thinking of just dropping this from my modifed version of the code, but was afraid that it might be very important and I would be making a big mistake in dropping this aspect.

2) Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any particularly reason to work in logs rather than original values, for this type of work?

3) Perhaps my most important question: The code to generate lw2 actually seems to be MEDIAN-preserving and not mean-preserving (the relevant parts of the code for this are "g add=-((_n-1)*2/594-1)*.2; g lw2=add+lwage"). The "add" variable is 0 for the median person and hence lw2 is unchanged for that person, but raised for lower income earners and lowered for higher income earners, and the mean does actually change, unlike what is needed. I have tried to come up with a different method for preserving the mean (while reducing spread) but without success. What I need to do here is equivalent to a "stretch" as in the 3 S's of [(Stephen P. Jenkins and Philippe Van Kerm) "Accounting for income distribution trends: A density function decomposition approach" in Journal of Economic Inequality, 3(1), April 2005, 43-61] but in 'reverse' as I want to reduce not increase spread.

(I believe that after doing this simple exercise I should be able to work 'backwards' using the -gidecomposition- command to decompose the resultant change in poverty into the growth, redistribution, and residual/interaction components; and with the new mean-preserving reduced-spread distribution the growth component should be 0 and the redistribution component should account for the entire reduction in poverty, similarly with the new distribution-preserving higher-mean distribution the growth component from -gidecomposition- should explain the entire resultant change in poverty.)

Austin's simple suggested code (which he noted was just a silly example with important caveats):
webuse psidextract, clear
keep if t==7
g x=_n/100+5.6 in 1/300
kdensity lwage, at(x) g(d0) nogr
g lw1=lwage+.2
kdensity lw1, at(x) g(d1) nogr
sort lwage
g add=-((_n-1)*2/594-1)*.2
g lw2=add+lwage
kdensity lw2, at(x) g(d2) nogr
line d0 d1 d2 x, sort xli(6..2)
su lw*

Sorry to write again bothering people about the same issue but I have been unable to figure this out on my own, I think I won't have any further questions on this issue once I get this sorted.

best,
Lola Jackson