Re: st: adding a variable to a macro

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: adding a variable to a macro
Date   Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:33:09 -0500

At 08:19 PM 7/18/2008, B. Timothy Walsh wrote:
I am very new to Stata, but, having searched FAQ and Statalist, have not been able to find a solution...

I would like to add another variable to a local macro containing variables. So, if myvars contains varone vartwo varthree:
local myvars varone vartwo varthree

How do I add newvar?
I would have thought something like the following would work:
local myvars `myvars' newwar

But, it does not.
I'd appreciate any suggestions or guidance.
Tim Walsh
Yes it does. Try this:

local myvars var1 var2
local myvars `myvars' var3
display "`myvars'"

The result of the last command is

. display "`myvars'"
var1 var2 var3

You probably have a typo somewhere or there is something you are not telling us.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu

* For searches and help try: