Re: st: cluster and F test

From   "�ngel Rodr�guez Laso" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: cluster and F test
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:58:41 +0200

Thanks to Steven and Stas for their input.

I wasn't aware of the existence of the formula that both of them mention:

var=(s_b^2/m)+(s_w^2/nm)

The one I was using to calculate DEFF due to clustering effects is:

DEFF_c = 1+(n-1)r

where n is number of individuals per cluster and r is the intraclass
correlation coefficient, as mentioned by Steve. I've found this
formula in different papers and probably is also is included in Kish
1994, Survey Sampling. New York: Wiley and Sons, Inc.

I'm sure Stata calculates standard errors with a different system, but
it is possible to get a reasonable aproximation, as shown in the
example I sent, by dividing the total sample size by the DEFF
(calculated with the above formula) and then using the corrected
sample size in the formula for the standard error assuming a SRS.
I've checked the procedure is also valid when DEFF is over 1.

My point was that in this procedure, all n, r and mn are taken into
consideration while surprisingly (at least for me) in regression,
degrees of freedom do not take account of the total sample size,
whatever big it is. I wonder if the same procedure (calculating a
corrected sample size with deff and then using usual formulas for
standard errors) would give also approximate results for regressions.
I haven�t the skills to do it in Stata.

I've read Korn and Graubard's book and they don't give much
explanation on the reason to chose #clusters - #strata as the degrees
of freedom.

Cheers,

�ngel