Re: st: Programming Problem: How to prevent macro substitution

From   Christoph Birkel <>
Subject   Re: st: Programming Problem: How to prevent macro substitution
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:13:57 +0200

Eva, Nick,

thank you for your advice! I will try to transfer the generation of the temporary variables into the loop which generates the macro, and follow the suggestion of Nick, which seems to work well. Again: Many thanks!

Eva Poen schrieb:

Nick, thank you.

I was looking for a solution that can be done independently of the
creation of the temporary variables, since this is how Christoph
started the thread. What I didn't realise is that my solution will
contain the interior double quotes, which a simple -display- will not

. local test "hello " "hello"

. di "`test'"
hello hello

. di `"`test'"'
hello " "hello

It is therefore clearly not suitable, and plainly wrong. Thanks for
pointing it out to me. Austin gave a perfect, working solution.

I also agree that escaping macro substitution is often not the way
forward. At least I have managed to avoid it completely in my work.