RE: st: Programming Problem: How to prevent macro substitution

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Programming Problem: How to prevent macro substitution
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:11:37 +0100

I agree. In fact, I'd go one step further:

foreach u of numlist 0/2{
  local xlist `xlist'|ldep`u'

Sometimes the quotes just make things more complicated.

Eva Poen

take it in steps and it works:

foreach u of numlist 0/2{
  local xlist "`xlist' " "|" "`" "ldep`u'" "'"

-di "`xlist'"- returns|`ldep0'|`ldep1'|`ldep2'

on my machine.

2008/7/16 Christoph Birkel <>:

> I want to program a loop which produces a macro `xlist' containing a
list of
> dummy variable interaction expansion expressions with temporary
> names `ldep0' , `ldep1' etc. as a string . For this purpose I wrote:
> foreach u of numlist 0/`y2'{
>  local ldep`u' "ldep`u'"
> local xlist "`xlist'|``ldep`u'''"
> }
> The resulting macro should contain an expression like "|`ldep0'
>|`ldep1'|`ldep2' "  (when  `y2'  contains 2)  which
can be