st: ODBC again

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <>
Subject   st: ODBC again
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:32:29 -0400

I have a new computer, and I have taken the plunge into 64-bit Vista. (The University is supporting it starting this year.)

For data management in Stata, I depend heavily on ODBC to pull data from Access, Excel, and Oracle. After reloading all of my software, I now find that the ODBC drivers seem to be missing, unless I want to download from dbase or SQL. Apparently, this is a quirk peculiar to higher-end versions of Vista (my wife's home installation has all the ODBC drivers), and I see a lot of internet chatter about the problem... but no solutions.

Has anyone else run into this and have you solved the problem? (If so, how?)

E. Paul Wileyto, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biostatistics
Tobacco Use Research Center
School of Medicine, U. of Pennsylvania