st: replacing values in a variable with rowsums, aka "ereplace"

From   Ora John Reuter <>
Subject   st: replacing values in a variable with rowsums, aka "ereplace"
Date   Sun, 13 Jul 2008 10:48:19 -0400

Dear Statlisters,

I am searching for something that would do the equivalent of an
'ereplace'.  I have a set variables for which I generated a -rowtotal-
given some condition, e.g. (egen x=rowtotal (d1-d40) if y=1), but then
I need to replace some values in that same variable (x) with a
different -rowtotal- given a different condition.  I dont know how else
to explain it except to say that if there were an  'ereplace' command
the next command would look like this:

"ereplace" x=rowtotal(d2-d40) if y=2

In other words, I need to replace values in x with different sums of
variables.  I need to do this for a great many conditions so typing out
the list of variables to be added for each condition would be a minor

  Ora John Reuter
Emory University
Department of Political Science
327 Tarbutton Hall