st: re: building a 'dream' stata desktop setup

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: building a 'dream' stata desktop setup
Date   Wed, 9 Jul 2008 14:48:45 -0400

< >
Chinh said

"Fred Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The maximum memory I can access with a Mac Pro 8 GB, OS 10.5 (Leopard)
> is 1625 MB (set mem 1625m) which actually allocates 1711 according to
> Stata.

I suspect the reason that Fred cannot allocate more than 1625 MB of memory is
because the default amount of memory he allocated to Stata is 1625 MB (perhaps
set earlier by -set memory 1625m, perm-). This is a perfectly reasonable
thing to do and on other platforms, you can allocate more memory (assuming you
have more available) after Stata has started up.

What's happening on the Mac GUI version is that after Stata allocates its big
block of memory during startup, the GUI is allocating some memory for itself
and actually fragmenting the available memory. Stata takes steps to prevent
this memory fragmentation from happening when it starts up (successfully on
other platforms) but can't prevent the Mac GUI from fragmenting the memory.
Note that the Mac console version does not have this problem.

(snip)

The figures I quoted for memory allocation were not using the GUI version of Stata for Mac OS X, but the console version of Stata. This may well account for the difference, given the last line quoted above.

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/