Re: st: How to add a new variable with a specified correlation structure

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: How to add a new variable with a specified correlation structure
Date   Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:49:55 -0400

Draw the second variable (y_i) separately for each value of the first variable x_i (i= 1..n)

y_i ~ Normal ( mean = mu_2 + ( rho * sigma_2 * (x_i - mu_1)/sigma_1),
variance = sigma_2^2)(1 - rho^2)

Note, however, that the sample mean and variance of the y's and the sample correlation of the x's and y's will not be equal to m_2, sigma_2, and rho, respectively