st: RE: Re: xtpmg installation

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: xtpmg installation
Date   Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:30:25 +0100

Alternatively, people in British universities working like mine will
need three settings:

set httpproxy on
set httpproxyhost <whateveritis>
set httpproxyport 8080

The first is fairly self-explanatory. The last I gather is standard. You
may have to ask around to find out <whateveritis> for your site.
However, it may well be accessible via your browser.

For example, the sequence

Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN settings

shows me <whateveritis> -- and indeed the port 8080.

Put these settings in your profile.do.

It is, nevertheless, useful to get your Proxy Settings correctly
established for on-campus use, as otherwise simple commands like
'webuse foo' will not work either. Furthermore you will be unable to
readily establish whether you have the latest version of user-written
routines using -adoupdate-, and waiting until you can do this off-
campus may waste time. Under Preferences->Internet, click 'connect
through a proxy server' and enter the appropriate URL and port number
given by your IT staff.