Re: st: montecarlo simulations with actual distributions

Subject   Re: st: montecarlo simulations with actual distributions
Date   Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:13:30 -0400

Emanuele Canegrati:
The mean and sd are unlikely to fully characterize the pdf of returns
(there is serial correlation, heterogeneous kurtosis, and stochastic
volatility to worry about, at least).  I think you might want a block
bootstrap, i.e. your generation of random datasets will select groups
of contiguous obs from the actual data.  Simulations are tricky at
best, but simulating stock market returns is a real bear (or bull,
depending), so I would advise you to get someone experienced with
simulating stock market returns to become a coauthor and help you out.