Re: st: weighting issue in panel regressions

Subject   Re: st: weighting issue in panel regressions
Date   Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:22:33 -0400

Ken <[email protected]>:

You probably want an [aweight] but with het-robust SEs it will look
just like a [pweight].  Note that -xtreg- will not allow weights that
vary over time within panel, but -areg- will. With a panel model with
at least 50 industries, or at least 20 balanced clusters, you would
want to cluster at the industry level to allow for arbitrary serial
correlation, and the df correction under clustering is slightly
different for -areg- and -xtreg- (but should make no real difference).
 In this example there are only 10 clusters, so the SEs are probably
biased downward:

webuse grunfeld, clear
g w=round(1000*uniform())
xtreg inv mval [aw=w], fe
qui tab t, g(dt)
drop dt10
areg inv mval dt* [aw=w], a(com) r
est sto fe1
areg inv mval dt* [pw=w], a(com)
est sto fe2
areg inv mval dt* [pw=w], a(com) cl(com)
est sto fe3
esttab *, nogaps drop(dt*)