Re: st: Re: NLogit Post estimation

Subject   Re: st: Re: NLogit Post estimation
Date   Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:26:13 -0400

Caroline B. Theoharides <[email protected]>:
There are several ways to do this depending on what kind of "marginal
effects" you want, and the syntax is given by -help nlogit
postestimation-. Perhaps the most natural approach is to simply
replace the value of kids with each of the possible values at which
you want to calculate predictions (i.e. each of your counterfactuals)
and predict probabilities.  This uses the empirical distribution of
each choice's attributes, but I believe -spost- uses means of the
estimation sample instead (or would if it supported -nlogit-).  The
two approaches are illustrated below.  The second approach assumes
every restaurant has the same (mean) cost, distance, and rating, which
is why I say the first approach is more natural; others may disagree
with that assessment. The calculation of marginal effects will depend
on your counterfactuals.

clear all
webuse restaurant
nlogitgen type=restaurant(fast: 1 | 2, family: 3 | 4 | 5, fancy:6 | 7)
nlogit ch cost d ra||type:income kids,base(family)||re:,noconst case(f)
preserve
qui forv i=0/7 {
 replace kids=`i'
 predict p`i'_*, pr
 forv r=1/7 {
  su p`i'_2 if re==`r', meanonly
  loc k`i'r`r'=r(mean)
  }
 }
loc l
forv r=1/7 {
 forv k=0/7 {
  loc l `l' `k`k'r`r'' `=`r'.`k''
  }
 }
loc o "recast(spike) yti(Prob) xti(Rest) yla(0(.1).5) xla("
forv r=1/7 {
 loc o `"`o' `r'.4 "`:label (re) `r''" "'
 }
loc o `"`o', angle(90))"'
tw scatteri `l', `o' name(e, replace)
bys type rest: su p*_2
restore
foreach v in cost d ra income {
  su `v', meanonly
  loc `v'=r(mean)
}
preserve
collapse ch cost d ra income kids fam, by(type rest)
foreach v in cost d ra income {
 qui replace `v'=``v''
}
expand 8
bys type rest: replace kids=_n-1
bys type rest: replace fa=_n
predict p*, pr
loc l2
forv r=1/7 {
 forv k=0/7 {
  su p2 if rest==`r' & kids==`k', meanonly
  loc l2 `l2' `r(mean)' `=`r'.`k''
  }
 }
tw scatteri `l2', `o' name(m, replace)
sort kids type rest
li type rest kids p2, noo sepby(kids)
restore
gr combine e m, ycommon nocopies ti(Pr Choice by Number of Kids)