Re: st: Matching in STATA

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Matching in STATA
Date   Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:10:36 +0100 (BST)

--- Henry <> wrote:
> Salah, I am using secondary data from a primary care database. This
> contains  patient details -medical, therapy and demoraphic
> information. In this case, i guess i will have to do some matching.
> Not all patients in the database have the outcome of interest and
> thus in order to use classical logistic regression models to
> evaluate risk of outcome with exposure allowing for possible
> conounders , we need to find controls as close to the cases as much
> as possible.

Matching techniques and `classical logistic regression' both control
for meausured confounders, and both require that the model is correctly
specified. I never understood the advantage matching/reweighting
techniques over multiple regression techniques. I got the distinct
impression that in many applied studies the matching/reweighting
technique is believed to solve much more problems than is actually the
case, though I probably have to reread (Nichols 2007) when I have time.

-- Maarten

Austin Nichols (2007) Causal inference with observational data, The
Stata Journal, 7(4): 507--541.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081