Re: st: RE: UPDATE: once again -reshape- and labels

From   Roy Wada <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: UPDATE: once again -reshape- and labels
Date   Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:51:47 -0700

>I'm sorry but your suggestion does not work. As - hopefully
>clear to all - I have described, it is about temporarily saving
>the label for e.g. Ax1 and then - after reshape long - apply the
>label of Ax1 to Ax. This should be automated for all variables I
>want to reshape so that I won't have to change the labels manually.

This question comes up every year. Here's a program I use.
It will grab a label from the earliest year. The line about
-cap local v: word 1 of `names'- can be adjusted or cycled
through, but that would be overkill.

*! reshapeL 0.9 Jun2008 by
program define reshapeL
version 7

gettoken part1 rest1: 0, parse(",")
gettoken part2 rest2: part1, parse(" ")

foreach v in `rest2' {
	cap unab names : `v'*
	cap local v: word 1 of `names'
	local count 0
	local stop 0
	while `count'>-50 & `stop'==0 {
		local count=`count'-1
		cap local last=trim(substr("`v'",`count',.))
		capture confirm number `last'
		if _rc!=0 {
			local stop 1
	cap local shortname=trim(substr("`v'",1,length("`v'")`=`count'+1'))
	cap local l`shortname' : variable label `v'
	di `"`v'"' _col(20) `"`l`shortname''"'
reshape `0'

foreach v in `rest2' {
	cap label var `v' "`l`v''"

* create example data
webuse grunfeld,clear
reshape wide invest mvalue kstock time, i(company) j(year)
label var invest1935 "yum yum"

* preserves your labels as you go from wide to long
reshapeL long invest mvalue kstock time, i(company) j(year)

It’s easy to add contacts from Facebook and other social sites through Windows Live™ Messenger. Learn how.