Re: st: Help with data cleaning

Subject   Re: st: Help with data cleaning
Date   Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:11:57 -0400

Melonie Sullivan <[email protected]>:
You may want to reconsider what you want; creating a duration variable
is frowned on for most purposes, since spells may be of unknown
duration if beginning or end dates are unknown (and you are virtually
guaranteed to have at least some end dates unknown).  See -help st- or
Maarten Buis's intro at http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/wp/survival.html
or Stephen Jenkins's course at
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/degree/stephenj/ec968/ for more
info on analysis of spells.

I'm not sure you actually want to drop the duplicates, as opposed to
recoding that info in another variable--isn't it informative that a
planned release didn't happen? As for defining spells, you may want to
just make a spell within some person ID of each Pcode that encompasses
any overlapping spells; the outer envelope, in other words.  And then
create variables that define what happens during that enveloping
spell.  For Pcode 10, presumably you want to know the start and end
dates, even if it happens during a spell of another type. The thread
beginning at http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg00242.html
might be of interest to you; there are many others in the Archives
that are relevant as well.

You may want to provide more specifics about the planned analysis, and
provide some example raw data with ID variables with a target data
structure, and some example analysis commands, to get better advice.