st: RE: RE: date function error?

From   "Hoffman, George" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: date function error?
Date   Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:37:47 -0500

Thank you, Nick.
well, then the problem is somewhere else. my real question is about a
automatic log-creation program that i have run from a profile.do file at
stata startup, which has been malfunctioning.

my intent was to creat a log file with the name mmddhhmm.log, where mmdd
comes from $S_DATE and hhmm comes from $S_TIME.  my program has looked
like this for years, and it has no longer been able to add the mmdd part
because my call to date("$S_DATE","dmy" returns  missing value:
the program is below.
 thanks for helping me out of this rut.

george hoffman

program define autolog
	local logdir=".\logs\"
	local logfile : display  %dND date("$S_DATE","dmy")
substr("$S_TIME",1,2) substr("$S_TIME",4,2)
	local logfile : display "`logdir'" substr("`logfile'",5,.)
".log"
	capture log using `logfile'
	if _rc==602 {
				while _rc==602 {capture log using