st: RE: RE: rank ordered twoway graph

From   "Shehzad Ali" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: rank ordered twoway graph
Date   Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:10:33 +0100

Thanks, Nick. This is a very useful command to know. Now my question is:
using qplot I want to generate a graph of y-variable which is rank ordered
by x-variable (obviously different from Pen's parade). If I used the option
- xvariable - in - qplot -, it produces an x-axis over the entire range of x
variable but I am interested only in x-rank to sort my y-var. Is it possible
to do this using qplot?

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 11 June 2008 10:29
Subject: st: RE: rank ordered twoway graph

You can make this possible in one line by writing a wrapper for those
commands, but I am not aware of any way to do that which is already
available. -qplot- (-search- for locations) allows plots of income
versus income rank, including a kind of graph which income people
associate with Jan Pen (although the same idea goes back much earlier).

Shehzad Ali

I want to create a twoway graph (like spike or dropline) where the
is a rank variable (based on say income) and y-axis is the other
of interest (say health_pay). A simple command - twoway spike health_pay

income - spread the x-axis over the whole range of income but I am
interested in income rank and not income itself.

I know one way to do it is to generate income rank variable using -
- and then plotting the rank_var against health_pay but I was wondering
there was a direct method.