st: RE: rank ordered twoway graph

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: rank ordered twoway graph
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:28:36 +0100

You can make this possible in one line by writing a wrapper for those
commands, but I am not aware of any way to do that which is already
available. -qplot- (-search- for locations) allows plots of income
versus income rank, including a kind of graph which income people
associate with Jan Pen (although the same idea goes back much earlier).

Shehzad Ali

I want to create a twoway graph (like spike or dropline) where the
is a rank variable (based on say income) and y-axis is the other
of interest (say health_pay). A simple command - twoway spike health_pay

income - spread the x-axis over the whole range of income but I am
interested in income rank and not income itself.

I know one way to do it is to generate income rank variable using -
- and then plotting the rank_var against health_pay but I was wondering
there was a direct method.