st: RE: 2 questions

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: 2 questions
Date   Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:43:00 +0200

As for the first question, what are you hoping to achieve by explicitly
subscripting with _n? The result without subscript should be the same as _n
simply contains the row number of  the observation in question. You need to
make the circumstances clearer for the list.

Secondly, put an asterisk -*- in front of anything you intend as a comment.

Martin Weiss

Diplom-Kaufmann Martin Weiss
Mohlstrasse 36
Room 415
72074 Tuebingen

Fon: 0049-7071-2978184

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Tunga Kantarci
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 4:57 PM
Subject: st: 2 questions

I would like to ask two independent questions:

1. The second of the following two commands return an error message.
But for some other _n it works fine.
What may be the problem?

count if fillq439[_n] == 3850
count if fillq439[_n] == 7000*0.55

2. On the command window, what is the syntax to indicate Stata not to
consider a command line?

For instance, there should be something like if I write the command between
backslashes, stat does skip that line without producing any output?

(like in between /* sum variablename /*)