Re: st: Graphics question

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Graphics question
Date   Thu, 22 May 2008 06:50:17 +0100 (BST)

--- Swati Tyagi <> wrote:
> I have a dataset of 1000 bootstrapped replicates and  have
> constructed a 2 way scatterplot with "cost" variable on y-axis and
> "effect" data on x-axis and wish to label the 25th and 975th readings
> of the x-axis variable with  values on the scatterplot.

You can get these values with the -centile- command, see -help
centile-, which will also store these values in r(c_1), r(c_2), etc,
depending on how many centiles you asked for. You can then use these,
for instance in the -xline()- option, which I think makes more sense
than adding them as data points, because these values only contain
information on x, while an data point also implies information on the

*----------------- begin example -----------------
sysuse auto, clear
centile trunk, c(2.5 97.5)
scatter  weight trunk, xline(`r(c_1)' `r(c_2)')
*----------------- end example -------------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081