Re: st: Calculate distance between two zip codes

Subject   Re: st: Calculate distance between two zip codes
Date   Wed, 7 May 2008 21:43:01 -0400

Nick, April Knill, et al.:

The solution I posted:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-05/msg00285.html
calculates distance using three methods, including the Haversine
method Todd Wagner implicitly endorses.

But the code posted is not accurate enough for many purposes that use
actual locations on a human scale, e.g. calculating which is the
nearest hospital as the crow flies (all of these solutions are for
crows only, not those of us who use conveyances).

Suppose you want to calculate the distance between two airplanes in
Anchorage, Alaska:

ssc install vincenty, replace
vincenty 61.18 -150 61.21 -149.84
return list

gives you three calculations--the first two assume the Earth is a
perfect sphere, which it is not, and the third that is an ellipsoid,
which is closer to the truth.
                r(loc) : "5.712498502835709"
                r(hav) : "5.712498503094725"
                r(vin) : "5.735680698573105"

If you do the same calculation using Todd Wagner's code:

loc a= (sin(_pi/360*.03))^2+cos(_pi/180*61.18)*cos(_pi/180*61.21)*(sin(_pi/360*.16))^2
di " distance=" 3957*2*atan2(sqrt(`a'),sqrt(1-`a'))

you get in the ballpark, but not the right answer.  The difference
between his Haversine calc and mine is the radius of the Earth--I
assume that when the Earth is a perfect sphere it has a radius of
3956.5438 miles.

Anyway, the important point, I think, is that an error of more than
two tenths of a mile (nearly .4km) can change the outcome of
subsequent calculations (e.g. which is the nearest hospital) since the
sizes of such errors are not the same in all directions.

Want to look up my hypothetical airplanes?  Google them:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=61.21,-149.84&ie=UTF8&ll=61.210002,-149.839997&spn=0.005983,0.023518&t=h&z=16