From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <epw@mail.med.upenn.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Parsing issue?
Date   Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:53:11 -0400

Thanks

Nick Cox wrote:
.
Eva is correct.
The way you can be backstabbed by backslashes is explained in a handy
paperback, the User's Guide. See [U] 18.3.11.
In all operating systems it supports, Stata is happy to accept / as a
separator within filenames. Under various flavours of Unix, including modern Mac OSs,
that is standard any way. Under Windows, Stata translates when
necessary.
Nick n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk
Eva Poen

a backslash is an escape character in Stata. In front of a local
macro, a backslash prevents execution. I.e., - \`x'- becomes `x' after
Stata executed the line. This can be useful in programming.

For your problem, try replacing the backslash with a forward slash. At
least in Windows this works fine. I don't know about other operating
systems.