Re: st: Parsing issue?

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <>
Subject   Re: st: Parsing issue?
Date   Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:53:11 -0400

Nick Cox wrote:
Eva is correct.
The way you can be backstabbed by backslashes is explained in a handy
paperback, the User's Guide. See [U] 18.3.11.
In all operating systems it supports, Stata is happy to accept / as a
separator within filenames. Under various flavours of Unix, including modern Mac OSs,
that is standard any way. Under Windows, Stata translates when
Eva Poen

a backslash is an escape character in Stata. In front of a local
macro, a backslash prevents execution. I.e., - \`x'- becomes `x' after
Stata executed the line. This can be useful in programming.

For your problem, try replacing the backslash with a forward slash. At
least in Windows this works fine. I don't know about other operating