st: RE: RE: ivreg2: difference in first regression results

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: ivreg2: difference in first regression results
Date   Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:15:31 +0100

Nick is right - this is the only way we can tell exactly which versions
you are using.

But I can see that you are probably not using the most up-to-date
version for Stata 8, because we released an -ivreg2- for Stata 8, called

Try installing -ivreg28-, and making sure that your -ivreg2- is also
up-to-date, and see if you find any differences then.

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3296 fax

> Nick
> I noticed that my ivreg2.ado for Stata8 which I use at home
> produces different results (in the first regression: F test
> of excluded instruments etc.) than my ivreg2.ado which I use
> in my office with Stata9. The results are shown below.
> The second equation is exactly the same, but in the first  t
> values and the F statistic are very different.  The whole
> thing is run with cluster and robust controls which I thought
> were identical in both cases. But they obviously are not. So
> am I doing something wrong?
> (The more recent version of ivreg2 seems to use degrees of
> freedom based on clusters, not on the number of observations
> which seems to be the reason why F critical values in the
> first regression differ between the two
> versions.)
> Any ideas why this is the case and which one of the version
> is "correct"?
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

registered under charity number SC000278.