Re: st: gllamm & stratified sampling design

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: gllamm & stratified sampling design
Date   Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:13:40 -0400

--

Thank you, Mabel.

So, households ARE your primary sampling units within strata. Your - svyset- is okay if you have only one respondent per household. If you have multiple respondents it should look something like:

svyset hhid [pweight=wt_natio], strata(usstate) || _n

For descriptive (not analytic) analyses, you can include finite population correction terms.

I think you do have multilevel data--people are arranged in higher- level units, areas and states. If you are not sure, then you should consult a good reference before proceeding. A decent online lecture (with some typos) is: http://www.pitt.edu/~super1/lecture/lec6191/ index.htm. See: http://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/learning-training/ multilevel-models/index.shtml. Also: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/ thegeocodingproject/webpage/monograph/glossary.htm or http:// www.paho.org/English/DD/AIS/be_v24n3-multilevel.htm

Although I am not expert in GLLAMM, I believe (but may be wrong) that:

1. GLLAMM is not a Stata survey program, so it will ignore -svyset-.
2. GLLAMM will accept your probability weights.
3. You will treat your strata as higher-level random effects in your analysis.

Also:

4. If you have a sufficient sample sizes in communities other than your original strata, you might choose to make those communities higher-level units as well.
5. If your outcome is "community participation" than local area of residence is probably more important than state
6. If your weights are 'national weights', I would not necessarily use them as is. For example, if your target population is the entire country, then the weights for a single state or area may be so distorted that they will not represent that state.
7.If your outcome is 'community participation' I would think that local community would be more important that state of residence.

Good luck!

-Steven