Re: st: Re: Question Tobit model

From   Johannes Geyer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Question Tobit model
Date   Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:35:56 +0200

- Another question I had was about the McDonald-Moffit Decomposition,
which demonstrated that for this model the total marginal effect have
three parts related with the probability of the dependent variable
being uncensored or not

this is a stata faq:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/mfx_ologit.html

I copied the relevant lines:

___________________
intreg and tobit
The marginal effects for the probability of being uncensored are
(1) mfx compute, predict(p(a,b))
where a is the lower limit for left censoring and b is the upper limit for
right censoring.
The marginal effects for the expected value of the dependent variable
conditional on being uncensored, E(y | a<y<b), are
(2) mfx compute, predict(e(a,b))
where a is the lower limit for left censoring and b is the upper limit for
right censoring.
The marginal effects for the unconditional expected value of the dependent
variable, E(y*), where y* = max(a, min(y,b)), are
(3) mfx compute, predict(ys(a, b))
where a is the lower limit for left censoring and b is the upper limit for
right censoring.

McDonald and Moffit showed that a change in the independent variable x has
two effects: it affects the conditional mean of y in the positive part of
the distribution (2), and it affects the probability that the observation
will fall in that part of the distribution (1). The sum of both effects
gives the unconditional effect (3). (Greene 2003, Econometric analysis,
p.766)

Johannes