Re: st: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Hausman Test when the RE OLS model includes time-constant variables
Date   Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:39:17 +0200

My suggestion is: run your -xtreg, re- model. Then download -xtoverid- from SSC and run it: if the test is significant, then you should prefer to run -xtreg, fe-. The p-value should be very similar from that coming out of:
xtreg y xs, fe
est store fixed
xtreg y xs
hausman fixed .
where xs include all variables in both cases (Stata will drop the time-invariant variables in the FE model for you). I like software taking decisions instead of me, above all in the cases it comes from trustful sources like prof. Schaffer & Stillman :-)

Nicola

P.S. please note that Baltagi et al. (Economics Letters 79, pp. 361-369) suggested to do two Hausman tests, in order to choose between RE, FE, and Hausman-Taylor estimators.