st: RE: dangerous preserve

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: dangerous preserve
Date   Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:46:04 +0100

I think this is mostly on the level of yes, sharp knives can cut you if
you are not careful.

As I understand it,

does not rule out a subsequent -restore-.

But otherwise yes, you can get bitten if you forget what you have done.

It would be easy enough to write a command that -save-d while it
-preserve-d, but
you would have to remember to use it. I can't see an advantage in
advising that
over advising the use of -save- before -preserve- when that's a good
idea -- or indeed over recommending -save- and avoiding -preserve- if
you are going to forget what you have done.

Martin Weiss

I was wondering if anyone apart from me has been bitten by -preserve-? I
recently preserved data, then dropped half my data to carry out some
calculations and later forgot the preserve-status and saved. Now call me
foolish, but in the heat of the action, it is easy to forget about the
status of your data, isn`t it?
So: is there a mechanism to alert me to this danger, and if not, should
there be one?