st: re: seeking text that explains how to program

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: seeking text that explains how to program
Date   Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:54:25 -0400

Jacob said

Am I correct in believing that neither the Web nor the help files is a substitute for the hard-copy Stata manuals?

Yes. But I think when it comes down to it that even a full set of the Stata manuals will leave you wanting. As an example, if you work solely with the Stata manuals, you will have a hard time programming maximum likelihood evaluators. The book by Gould et al. is indispensable in that regard.

Another poster suggested taking the Stata net courses. An excellent suggestion.

Mention was made of my forthcoming "An introduction to Stata programming." I hope that this book will soon be available; the draft manuscript is in the copyediting stages. The book is designed to assist anyone who wants to use .do, .ado or Mata programming effectively. It expands upon the "..goes a long way" talk.

You might also, in the meanwhile, find my talk at last year's German SUG meeting, "Should you become a Stata programmer?" useful:
http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/dsug07/00.html

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

* For searches and help try: