Re: st: RE: Statalist FAQ revised

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Statalist FAQ revised
Date   Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:30:28 +0100

Good question.

I'd rather not personalise this in terms of what I, Nick Cox, prefer. The FAQ is intended to codify a consensus about what is good practice. At one extreme, the FAQ lays down some indisputable facts (e.g. you can't post unless you have subscribed); at another extreme, we are in essence just making suggestions -- and goodness knows, people are going to ignore those suggestions when they forget or don't agree or think them inappropriate, and often quite rightly.

You do put your finger on a small dilemma. Lots of little thank you messages could clog up the list and are likely to be even less interesting than the original question to many readers. (But then Statalist is like a newspaper: however much you respect the paper, almost all of it is just not interesting or useful.) For this reason, "Thanks in advance" is often recommended -- and used -- as a way to signal impending gratitude once and for all in a thread. There are several objections to that, perhaps the most important of which is that it may encourage some posters to think they have discharged their responsibilities and can just sit back and wait for the answers.

However, it does seem to me -- and from many on-list and off-list discussions over the years I know I am not alone -- that one of the most frustrating things about this list can be poor closure of threads -- or even a failure to answer secondary questions. Everyone's time was wasted by any question that went nowhere.

More positively, one of the best things about the list is when
someone says, "Solution X works for me. Solution Y looks good too, and it should be a useful thing to remember. Thanks to Tom, Ricardo and Harriet for their suggestions.", or whatever.

That kind of response to me mixes informativeness and courtesy in good measure and is what I would like to encourage.

Sometimes of course, a thread is closed definitively by an answer: "You left out a comma", or whatever. In that kind of case I won't disagree that a message to the effect that someone is grateful for that correction is dispensable. Sometimes, gratitude can just be assumed.

Further, separate "Thank you"s are not a good idea. Thank everyone at once.

In general, nothing in the FAQ should be incompatible with general good sense.

Dupont, William

Nick

I did have one question about private responses. If I post a question
on Statalist and someone gives me a helpful answer should I thank her
publicly by posting my thanks on the list or privately by sending a
personal email. I could understand that thousands of Statalisters might
not want to read my thank you note. On the other hand some people who
give valuable help might like to be publicly thanked.

Your "Don't walk away" bullet appears to suggest that you prefer public
thanks. Is this correct?

Bill Dupont