Re: st: Dependent continuous variable with bounded range

From   "Anders Alexandersson" <>
Subject   Re: st: Dependent continuous variable with bounded range
Date   Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:30:40 -0400

Pavlos C. Symeou <> wrote:
>  I have panel data for 100 firms for five years and I want to examine the
>  effects of various variables on "reputation". My variable "reputation"
>  takes  continuous values in the range of 0-10. Namely, it can take
>  values of 1,2,3 but also of 2.5, 9.6, etc. The values that the variable
>  "reputation" takes in my sample range between 2.6 - 8.3. Can you please
>  advise if I can still use panel OLS estimation for panel data or should
>  I use a different model? In essence, my main concern is the limitations
>  of the bounded range of my variable.

I find both Nick Cox's and Jay Verkuilen's comments very reasonable.
But Pavlos does not mention how the variable "reputation" is created.
How would reputation get a value of, say, "9.6"? Where does the
boundary 0-10 come from, e.g., from the sample's population or from a
questionnaire? Is reputation a scored variable or does it represent
original data?

Anders Alexandersson