RE: st: making Stata read do-files

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: making Stata read do-files
Date   Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:28:59 +0100

Gabi does not state the operating system.

If it's Windows, my guess is that Stata's difficulty is that Windows
does not
seem consistent in its handling of case.

If you go through the GUI, Windows shows filenames with upper case
letters just as originally
assigned.

If you go through the command prompt or equivalent, you seem to be
dealing with something
not very different from the ancient DOS code which is not
case-sensitive.

Although it's a counsel of despair, my experience matches Friedrich's
advice: just work with
lower case filenames throughout.

Friedrich Huebler

One idea is to rename all do-files so that the file names only have
lowercase letters. Several free programs can help with this task, for
example Lupas Rename.

http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/