RE: st: programming prob

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: programming prob
Date   Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:34:55 +0100

If an option is not compulsory, the -syntax- specification (in your
case) would be
-sig(real 0.95)-. You missed out "real".

If you are interested in testing for normality, look at -omninorm- from

Despite my joint authorship of the above program, I declare a prejudice
that testing
for normality is one of the most over-rated statistical activities!

Martin Weiss

Does not work, either...

Maarten buis

--- Martin Weiss <> wrote:
> I wanna check the power of normality tests and to this end I have
> written a program that does exactly that. It worked fine until I
> added an option to provide a desired sig. level to the program.
> Stata complains about the syntax, and I cannot figure out why.
> Any ideas why that might be? I want to make both varlist and sig
> optional so I put them in square brackets.  Here is
> the program (with useful commands around it):
> *********
>   capt pr drop normality
>   pr de normality, rclass
>         version 10
>         syntax [varlist(max=1 numeric default=none), sig(0.95)]

This should be:
syntax [varlist(max=1 numeric default=none)], [sig(0.95)]