Re: st: Capturing names of dropped variables in Probit/Logit

From   Partha Deb <>
Subject   Re: st: Capturing names of dropped variables in Probit/Logit
Date   Mon, 07 Apr 2008 14:15:24 -0400

Thanks a lot.  That was just what I was looking for.

Maarten buis wrote:
--- Partha Deb <> wrote:
I'm wondering how it might be possible to capture the name of a
variable dropped by -probit- or -logit- because it "predicts failure
-indeplist-, downloadable from -ssc-, gives by default a list of
independent variables that have not been dropped. You can use that list
together with Stata's facilities of handeling list in macros, see: -help macrolists-, to get to the variables that have been removed. See
the example below:

*--------- begin example -----------
sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/3=0 4/5 =1
gen domestic = !foreign

local rhs "foreign domestic"
logit rep78 `rhs'

indeplist, local
local removed : list rhs - X
di "`removed'"
*---------- end example -------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! For Good helps you make a difference
* For searches and help try:
Partha Deb
Department of Economics
Hunter College
ph:  (212) 772-5435
fax: (212) 772-5398

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds.
	- Bob Marley