Re: st: Capturing names of dropped variables in Probit/Logit

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Capturing names of dropped variables in Probit/Logit
Date   Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:02:02 +0100 (BST)

--- Partha Deb <> wrote:
> I'm wondering how it might be possible to capture the name of a
> variable dropped by -probit- or -logit- because it "predicts failure
> perfectly".

-indeplist-, downloadable from -ssc-, gives by default a list of
independent variables that have not been dropped. You can use that list
together with Stata's facilities of handeling list in macros, see:
-help macrolists-, to get to the variables that have been removed. See
the example below:

*--------- begin example -----------
sysuse auto, clear
recode rep78 1/3=0 4/5 =1
gen domestic = !foreign

local rhs "foreign domestic"
logit rep78 `rhs'

indeplist, local
local removed : list rhs - X
di "`removed'"
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081