Re: st: When to use Log (1+x) Transformation?

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: When to use Log (1+x) Transformation?
Date   Sun, 6 Apr 2008 18:01:18 +0000 (GMT)

--- Song wrote:
> I need to use log transfomation for both my dependent variable
> and independent variables.

I always get rebellious as soon as someone says the he or
"must" or "needs to" use some technique or do some
transformation. Statistics
does not force you do anything. The
only thing you must do is make sense.
Statistics books are full
of rules of thumb and tips that will often help
making sensible
decision. It these "rules" that people often mean
when they say
that they "must" do something. I have two problems with

1) You are the only one who is responsible for your decisions.

You are hiding
from that responsibility by saying that you "must"

do something (at least as long as you do not tell why this is the

2) Such rules help in general but often do not apply to your

specific research
project. The only one who can see that is you.

This is a general rant, and I hope you do not take this personally.

It is just
that this issue is bothering me for some time, and you

just made this remark at
a time that I had time to write it up.

Also, I am a non-native speaker, so it
may very well be that I read

too much in the word need in this context

-- Maarten
Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081